(Community Matters) CMI’s 6th Annual LGBT Community Survey. Over 45,000 total respondents living in 148 countries. Summary focuses on US respondents.
- “LGBT” is the preferred moniker by LGBT consumers
- 73-88% of gay men and lesbians say that whether or not a company sponsors LGBT charities influences their purchasing decisions
- 37% of gay men and 12% of lesbians say that “LGBT outreach” was significantly influential in their purchasing decision of a hotel room.
- About 17% of gay men and 12-16% of lesbians over 30 have attended a ticketed LGBT fundraising event with a ticket price over $100 in the last 12 months.
- 56 % of gay men and 53% of lesbians say they gave to an LGBT focused non-profit in the last 12 months (graph below)
- 27% of gay men and 22% of lesbians say they gave more than $1000 to LGBT focused non-profits in the last 12 months.
- The top reasons why LGBT didn’t give to LGBT focused non-profits: Nobody asked me or I’m not familiar enough with the nonprofits.
- Gay men drink much less beer and more spirits & cocktails
- 77% of gay men support Pres Obama, 5% Mitt Romney, 18% other or not voting; lesbians, 84%, 2% and 14%, respectively