some of my favorite points from his speech:
- Austin is @ a tipping point. Saving the soul of our city means applying our famous creativity & innovation.
- How many of you lose too much time trapped in Austin traffic? It’s time to get Austin moving.
- Education is key to Austin’s continued success. We have a moral imperative to give our kids the tools to succeed.
- Austin is threatened by skyrocketing housing costs, a lack of middle class jobs, rising taxes and fees.
- Austin has a “jobs hole” attracting high paying jobs & low paying jobs, but not enough middle class jobs.
- Streamline planning & permitting, cutting time & costs, increasing supply & affordability of homes while preserving neighborhood character.
- Recommit to elevate Austin as a national leader in conservation and sustainability.
- Control land develop code re-write – transparency, open, inclusive process while protecting the character of our neighborhoods & the city we want in 30 years.
- Traffic, education, enviro, development – same challenges last 8 yrs. We need a new way forward.